December 11, 2016. My sweet Maxwells birthdate. Little did we know he’d decided to grace us with his presence five weeks before his due date. A few weeks prior to my delivery I started to have some small preterm labor issues, but nothing that seemed too out of the ordinary. My OB ordered me some meds, told me to take it easy, drink plenty of water and that if I could make another month or two, that it would be great. He also informed me that if I happened to make it to 35 weeks gestation and went into labor, that he would not stop it.
So the wee hours of the morning on December 11th rolled around (I was 35 weeks and 4 day) and I woke up feeling very achy. The days prior would full of lots of discomfort and pressure and I just knew that he’d be coming soon. After drinking lots of water and still having contractions, I decided to take a light walk around the block in hopes that my mind was just playing tricks with me and that I was just experiencing some false labor signs. Still no relief, so I decided to shower. I thought maybe a hot shower would help to ease the pain and make the contractions slowly go away, but no, they were still consistent and painful.
8 hours later, still in pain, I decided maybe we should head to the hospital to just get checked out. I figured they would just confirm that it was false labor and hopefully send me back home. After a quick exam they decided to admit me. I was dilated to a 4 and having true labor contractions. Inside I panicked a little. I knew Max was probably going to come early, given the fact that I delivered Asher at 37 weeks, but I wasn’t exactly sure how it was all going to play out.
After laboring for 7 hours or so and my water finally breaking last minute, Maxwell McGee came into this world. He was quiet, good size (6lbs 9oz) and had a head full of dark hair. I cried. Jacob cried. Here he was, our sweet baby. Every emotion possible ran through my mind… how Asher would react to him… everything. Do to having a preterm birth, my room was full of hospital staff. Doctors, nurses, NICU Doctors.. it was crowded in there. Jacob and I only got to spend about 10 minutes with him until they took him away to nursery to be evaluated. Little did I know that I wouldn’t be able to hold my sweet boy until almost 12 hours later.. talk about a strange feeling. At first we were told that he looked great and that they were just taking precautionary measures with evaluating him. At about midnight the nursery pediatrician came into my room and informed me that Max was having some respiratory issues due to his early arrival. He seemed confident that they would quickly resolve, but after a few hours and him still breathing heavy, they decided to admit him to the NICU where he would be able to get oxygen and a more thorough evaluation.
I am seven short weeks away from my due date and the reality is finally soaking in. (AHH!) Between building a house and taking care of a busy four year old, I’ve kept pretty busy this go around. I still have much to do – set up a nursery, find the perfect carseat, amongst other baby gear, wash clothes and get my hospital registration done, so these next few weeks are going to be busy ones! I’m hoping my energy levels increase and that “nesting phase” kicks into high gear!
With that being said, the baby product market has significantly changed in the past four years and my goodness is it amazing. There are seriously so many incredible and unique products on the market right now that do it all. As excited as I am to be breaking some of my old favorites back out, here are some new products that I am drooling over. Like that SNOO Smart Sleeper! Here are some of my most favorite new baby products that are on the market!
- SNOO Smart Sleeper – How beautiful is this thing?! Not only is it super stylish, but it’s also incredible functional. Having a reflux baby the first time around and one who didn’t have the best sleep patterns, I’m definitely looking at all my options this time. It was a very sleep deprived first year and a half for Jacob and I and as we all know, sleep is such a necessity for both baby and parents.
- Natursutten Pacifiers – My trusty pals over at Cotton Babies led me on to these things and I’ve already ordered a few for number 2. Seem easy to wash and perfect for baby.
- Baby Monitor – I’m open to suggestions if any of you have monitors that you love! I used one that connected to my phone the last time and just didn’t care all that much for it.
- Wild Creek Co. Teethers + Pacifier Clips – These are the sweetest little teether and pacifier clips ever! They are safe, natural and so much better than the basic rubber teether. Asher had a Sophie the giraffe that he dearly loved, but my goodness was she hard to keep clean!
- Ubbi Diaper Pail – I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. Hands down the best diaper pail ever. Nothing will ever even come close to comparing to this thing and I can’t wait to use it again!!
- Odessa + Sons Indigo Swaddles – I adore this little small shop! They make the most beautiful hand dyed swaddles and I’ve totally got one on my wish list for this next babe!
- Freshly Picked Moccs – Best shoes ever! And there are so many new colors! I can’t wait to see a sweet babe in them again!
- Solly Baby Wrap + Swaddles – These are a must for me this go around. My sister invested in a wrap that she loves and now I’ve got to have one (or two ;)) and some swaddles! Seriously amazing!
- Tubby Todd Baby Fresh Spray – I haven’t tried this stuff just yet, but my goodness what a wonderful invention. I had to be careful with daily baths with Asher and this stuff is like full body refreshening spray for babies.. umm yes! And think of all the things you can spritz this stuff with… diaper bag, blankets, carseat, etc.!
- Nuna Leaf – I’m definitely in the market for something a little more compact/all-in-one this time around and this Leaf from Nuna totally fits that bill. It’s a baby seat that also swings and doesn’t just last the first 6 months. It’s weighted for up to 130lbs, which is amazing! I love longterm baby products because they are the best bang for your buck!
- BumGenius Cloth Diapers – I started with crummy, cheap cloth diapers with Asher and quickly realized they weren’t going to cut it, so this time around I’m investing in the holy grail of cloth diapers.. BumGenius! Durable, safe, and easy to use!
- Nook Crib Mattress – I saw these on Instagram a few weeks ago and after doing a little investigating, I was sold. This is an amazing little crib mattress that not only promotes healthy sleep, but is also organic and BREATHABLE. I think we could all sleep a little better at night knowing our babies are sleeping safe and sound on a breathable mattress!
- Pearhead Baby Milestone Chart – Pearhead, oh how I love every product they offer! You may have seen my posting on my pregnancy chalkboard and I can’t wait to break out this all about baby chalkboard when he gets here! It’s seriously so handy and such a great way to document his milestones. I can’t wait!
Anything I’m missing? I’d love to hear about your favorite and must have baby products! xo-
It’s hard to believe that I am already on month 6 of this pregnancy. 25 weeks?! And this child is supposably the size of a cabbage, which I can definitely believe because I’m feeling large and in charge these days and seriously wondering how I’m gonna manage to make any more room for him in there. The thing that’s the most different about this pregnancy, than my last, is that I’ve got my husband here this go-around to take weekly photos of me, go with me to doctors appointments and help assemble all the fun baby gear! Some of you may remember that when I was pregnant with Asher, he was deployed to Afghanistan… Left when I was around 8 weeks pregnant and returned home when I was 34 weeks pregnant.. so he missed all the fun in-between stuff and I missed having him around. It’s crazy to think the small things that we take for granted and I couldn’t imagine not having him here this pregnancy.
With that being said, we’ve had fun documenting my growing belly, thus far. I wasn’t the best about documenting my growing belly with Asher, so this time I’m trying to take weekly and monthly photos. To make my documenting super easy, my wonderful friends over at PEARHEAD sent me this adorable chalkboard that’s just the right size and perfect for documenting my forever growing belly. I’m going to try to do this weekly, as I progress, and compare these photos in the end. So stay tuned! And hope that I make some room in there because as of right now I think I may burst! 😉
Be sure to check out PEARHEAD on their website HERE and you can ordered your chalkboard HERE.
PEARHEAD – FACEBOOK / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER / PINTEREST
Happy Tuesday friends! xo!